In 2000, 189 nations made a promise to free people from extreme poverty and multiple deprivations. This pledge became the eight (8) Millennium Development Goals (MDG) to be achieved by 2015. In September 2010, the world recommitted itself to accelerate progress towards these goals.
The MDG provide a framework for the entire UN system to work coherently together toward a common end. UNDP, global development network on the ground in 177 countries and territories, is in a unique position to advocate for change, connect countries to knowledge and resources, and coordinate broader efforts at the country level.
Here in the Philippines, the Municipal Government of Angono in the province of Rizal, is seriously committed to continuously implement and sustain the MDG’s advocacy to end poverty and deprivation. Thru its local leader, Mayor Gerry Calderon focuses on the pragmatic steps that can be taken in the next five years, thus keeping its track to achieve the MDG by 2015.
The following summarizes some of Angono’s commitment to MDG’s successful implementation:
LOCALIZATION OF THE EIGHT (8) MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS:
- Implemented Volunteerism Program wherein additional manpower was provided to the Municipal Government to which the volunteers were given particular allowance.
- ZERO Squatter Program – 10, 158 Families already integrated in the Shelter Assistance under Urban Settlement Development Office in partnership with different national and provincial governmental agencies.
- 1021 children were fed and being monitored through feeding programs.
- 3.97 metric tons of high-value crops were grown and harvested from 7.7 hectares of land through upland development and integrated farming.
- 3 TESDA-accredited technical courses were offered wherein 164 students graduated.
- 40 goats and 236 chickens were dispersed for raising wherein 18 and 118 recipients respectively have benefited.
- 73% Placement Rate was recorded after the conduct of 5 local recruitment, 3 provincial recruitment and 1 job fair activities.
- 15 Day Care Centers and 16 Rural Improvement Centers are operational wherein 961 and 580 children were enrolled respectively.
- Television units and DVD players are being used as instructional materials.
- Provision of a service vehicle for students in far flung Barangays.
- Conducted 4 Kasalang Bayan.
- 100 solo parents benefited on the privileges and seminars on the welfare of solo parents.
- 391 couples undergone marriage counseling.
- Persons with disabilities benefited from the seminar on their welfare and privileges.
- 100% of the target clientele benefited on Child and Youth Welfare Program including legal, medical, dental and education assistance.
- 12,560 MCRA and couples of reproductive age benefited on Safe Motherhood and Family Planning Seminar and check-up.
- Barangay Mahabang Parang Health Center was developed into a Lying-in center wherein 12 live births were recorded.
6 – Disease Prevention
- All endemic areas in 10 barangays were immunized through Disease Prevention and Control Program.
- 1 main and 9 satellite health centers are operational.
- Approximately 4,840 people were given free anti-flu vaccine.
- 2,879 dogs were vaccinated to prevent the spread of Rabies.
- Large portion of the population have immediate access to affordable essential medicines through health centers.
- The main stretch of the Angono River is continuously being dredged to prevent siltation and flooding.
- 6,000 trees were planted in the different locations within the Municipality.
- Establishment of ECOPARK as an alternative to Sanitary Landfill – a technology refers to post closure site (closed and rehabilitated open dumpsite, controlled dump facility and SLF) converted into an integrated facility designed for processing, treating, sorting, retrieving, extracting or recovery of recyclable materials, biodegradable wastes, non-hazardous/non toxic solid wastes and disposal of residual wastes but also applicable for new identified area which passes the DENR standard/criteria in establishing the said facility.
- The Angono Materials Recovery Facility produces 200 sacks of organic fertilizer per month and makes 1,000 concrete hollow blocks per month.
8 – Build Global Partnership for Development
- Majority of the population have subscribed and presently using telephone, cellular phones and the internet as their channel of communication locally and internationally.
- Nurturing the artistic experience of visitors in Angono with the improvement of the existing products and services, and developing new ones, while enhancing stronger collaboration between relevant sectors thru the help of the Medium-term Art Tourism Development Plan and Comprehensive Development Plan of Angono, Rizal prepared under the assistance of ILO.
- Improving the efficient management of the lake and enhancing the people’s appreciation in addressing environmental concerns within the lake, by introducing the concept of Natural Wastewater Treatment Systems thru USADs Environmental Cooperation-Asia (ECO-ASIA) which facilitated the partnership between the Chi Nan University (CNU) in Taiwan, BN-BORDA and the Laguna Lake Development Authority.
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are the most broadly supported, comprehensive and specific development goals the world has ever agreed upon. These eight time-bound goals provide concrete, numerical benchmarks for tackling extreme poverty in its many dimensions. They include goals and targets on income poverty, hunger, maternal and child mortality, disease, inadequate shelter, gender inequality, environmental degradation and the Global Partnership for Development.
Angono fully supports these development goals by implementing the above projects and continuously developing new strategies towards a stronger and effective impact of MDG by 2015. (Manda Icasiano)